King Arthur and HER Knights

I love when people recommend books to me and it leads me to find a new book to read or a series to enjoy! One of my friends is a super big audio book and kindle book reader so he told me all about this series, King Arthur and Her Knights by K.M. Shea.

There are 7 books in the series and so far I've read the first, but I'm definitely going to get around to reading all 7. The first is Enthroned. Let me tell you, I was there are absolutely parts of the plot that may seem to be a little cliche, but overall I found that this book was a wonderful new twist on beloved myths.

Enthroned is the story of Britt Arthur, who while on vacation in England with her friends, poses with an enchanted sword in the stone and is transported back to the time of King Arthur. She is met by a young and handsome Merlin who reveals to her that the real Arthur has run off with a shepherdess before he could be put on the throne as the rightful king. Luckily, the enchantment on the sword has brought them Britt, who finds that she can easily pull the sword from the stone. Suddenly Britt finds herself disguising herself as a man to pass as the real Arthur and she is crowned king. Will she be able to gain the confidence of the knights and men that she must lead?

Like I said, at first glance, some aspects might seem cliche. Time travel seems to be overdone sometimes. But it's only a brief aspect of the story since once Britt gets there, she isn't able to return home. I thought the idea of a female King Arthur was very intriguing.

I also really liked the character of Britt. She is spunky and bold and easily accepts the role of being King based on things that prepared her in her previous life in the present day. She knew how to ride horses and sword fight thanks to her hobbies.

The book reminds me a lot of Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon which I reviewed a few months ago. It is similar in the idea of a modern girl coming to a magical kingdom and being thrust into the court society. So if you've read Doon you'd probably enjoy the King Arthur and Her Knights series.

One thing to keep in mind is that this book is very short (I think only 130 pages or so). And while there is a continuous plot, sometimes days, weeks, or even months or passed over in just a sentence or two. However, it is mostly to avoid the monotony of day-to-day life. I see it more as the way you would read the myths of King Arthur, the stories are usually episodic and highlight specific stories that impacted his life and his kingdom. This is the way that Shea writes the story of King Britt Arthur as well. I personally like it.

I think this book would appeal to fantasy/mythology lovers, historical fiction lovers, or even those who love a spunky female main character. You can purchase this Kindle book here.

Comments

Popular Posts