The Running Dream

It has been way too long since my last post. I promise that I've been reading a lot...Just nothing that I really wanted to post about. Finally I've got one for you...

Some personal background here...I've never really been into running. When I was in middle school and a little bit in high school I played basketball. I'm tall so I was a center and I was relatively in shape. Three of my younger sisters all were big into running. Cross-country and track were always happening in my family. But I have never really understood running. Running just for the sake of it.

However, since having a baby last year I've been trying to get back into shape. Thanks to my amazing Fit4Mom workout classes and that amazing community, I've been surrounded by support in losing weight and getting healthy. And I decided to set a major goal for myself. Last year, two of my sisters ran a half marathon and this year my goal is to do it with them.

This is pretty crazy since I've never ever run a race. But as I've been training for it, I've really enjoyed it. The rush of sprinting, pushing your body against its limits, the second wind you find when you just keep pushing. So I was inspired to try and find some great books about running!

This is how I discovered The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen.

The Running Dream is the story of sixteen-year-old Jessica who has just lost her leg in a school bus accident. As a high school track star, this is nothing short of devastating to her. Suddenly it is a struggle for her to simply get out of bed and attend school. The book focuses on Jessica overcoming these herculean tasks that she must face and find the will to live again. But despite all her progress, she can't help but remember that she will never be able to run again. This is the new reality she must learn to live with.

I really loved this book! I felt like I could really get into Jessica's personality and her plight. You find yourself as the reader cheering for her to push herself and to rediscover how to live without the use of one of her legs. It's definitely an inspirational story and while Jessica is fictional, in her acknowledgements, Van Draanen recognizes some of the many people who face this situation on a daily basis. So it was really fascinating to have a glimpse into the mind of an amputee whose life prior to the accident revolves around running.

I think I found what I was looking for when I wanted to find a book about running. I feel inspired! If Jessica can find fulfillment in her new reality, then I can definitely run a half marathon!

Comments

Popular Posts