The Ghosts of London

I demonstrate to my students that reading is important by making sure that I give them access to books. I have my classroom library but I also make sure that I take my classes to the school library at least once every two weeks. A lot of times when we are there, students will come up and ask me if I have any recommendations for them.

Let me tell you--my go-to book recommendation for just about anyone is the Lockwood and Co. series by Jonathan Stroud. It's got everything you need in a novel: great characters, tons of action, mystery, plot twists, and original ideas! I was introduced to this book thanks to my mentor teacher last year who used this as fun book to teach for her 12th graders. Since then I've read all five books in the series and got several of my students hooked on it as well!

The premise of the series is that a "problem" has arisen in London. Ghosts are constantly popping up and terrorizing people at night. However, adults can't see the ghosts which leads to organizations and agencies of kids and teenagers teaming up to find the sources of the ghosts and eliminate the problem. Lucy Carlyle is one of these agents. When she arrives in London in search of a new job, she stumbles across Lockwood and Co., an agency run and created by a young Anthony Lockwood. She is hired on the spot and joins the team with Lockwood and George, a pudgy nerdy historian. Together they embark on a missions to destroy the sources of these hauntings and maybe even the source of the whole "problem" altogether.

These adventures span all five books of the series and it just gets better and better. I feel like there is so much mystery and different cliff hangers across all of the books. Stroud does such an amazing job of connecting all these dots and leaving these hints and beautiful foreshadowing that brings it all together. I found myself constantly surprised by twists and turns in the story that I didn't see coming.

This is such a masterful series of books that are great for anyone who loves mystery, ghosts, surprise endings, and good writing!

Comments

Popular Posts