Aries 181

I really like to use Netgalley to get access to upcoming books and review them for authors. Sometimes though it takes me a while to read books or I have so many that I don't get to them in a timely manner. This week I was able to finish Aries 181 by Tiana Warner that was officially published on March 26th.

Tiana Warner is the author of the Mermaids of Eriana Kwai series which looks like a pretty interesting series. I'll have to check it out at some point!

Aries 181 is about Jessica, an intern at an aerospace technology company called Aries. The company is run by Anthony Ries. Jess stumbles upon the realization that Dr. Ries is stealing tech from other companies to ensure that Aries is at the cutting edge of technology. He eventually cons another young woman, Halley, into being his accomplice. The danger increases as they go on a criminal rampage, stealing weapons and technology across the country. Jessica ends up risking everything in order to try and stop them.

This book could maybe be classified as science fiction....but it definitely is all about STEM careers. I think that teenagers and young adult women would really enjoy reading about Jess and her skills with technology.

I will warn that in the relationship between Dr. Ries and Halley, there is some physical and emotional abuse which could be difficult for some to read if they have been in a relationship like that before. But as Warner writes in her Author's Note, "this book is dedicated to anyone who has been in Jess' or Halley's shoes. May you find your inner superpower and proceed to kick ass."

As far as diversity goes, this book represents LGBT relationships with Jessica and her girlfriend. I love that their sexual orientation isn't just thrown in to be included. It is a part of who Jessica is and fits seamlessly into the story. I think that this also will help those who read it looking for representation of themselves reflected in what they read.

I would probably give this book a 4 out of 5 stars. It was an interesting read but not as compelling as some of the other books I've read. I definitely have a desire to read other books by Tiana Warner and I recommend this book to anyone who might be looking for a good STEM read.

Comments

Popular Posts