Brig-a-"Doon"

All of us were teenage girls once...right? (I guess not the guys). But you know what I mean! I feel like we all know what it is like to be young at heart--especially when it comes to romance.

I generally try to avoid romance as a genre because a lot of romance can be mushy or heart-wrenching. Especially in adult novels it has to be well-written in order to avoid being cheesy! But every once in a while, I sit down with a novel to appease my teenage girl heart and this time I wasn't disappointed.

I just finished Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon. Gah!! I actually borrowed it as an e-book through Overdrive and I am so frustrated because my library doesn't have the rest of the series on Overdrive. So I have to figure out another way to read the rest of the books!! I definitely would have devoured the entire series this weekend if I could have!

Doon is loosely based on the musical Brigadoon in which the small kingdom of Doon appears only once every 100 years in Scotland, allowing visitors to enter.

Veronica and her best friend, Mackenna, have just finished high school and end up traveling to Scotland to spend the summer. Before they leave, Veronica starts seeing the visions of a mysterious blond boy appearing and quickly falls in love with the idea of this handsome Scot. She is haunted by these visions as they go to Alloway, Scotland where Mackenna's aunt has left her a cottage and mysterious instructions on how to transport themselves to the magical town of Doon.

When they arrive, they meet not only Jamie, the dreamy blond that Veronica kept seeing, but also Duncan, his handsome brother who seems to take an instant liking to Mackenna. And to top it all off--they are both princes! But the magical fairy-tale world isn't exactly what Veronica dreamed of and Jamie doesn't seem to like her one bit. The two girls are only granted two weeks to decide whether or not they want to stay in Doon forever or return back to their normal lives.

So, like I said--it is definitely a teen romance. The writing isn't always amazing but it definitely made me feel like a teenage girl again. This book is for those who can't help but believe in true love, soul mates, and destiny. It is definitely a roller-coaster of teenage hormones. But I was definitely in the mood for it.

Reading these teenage romance books every once in a while makes me smile and remember being a young teenage girl who drooled over books like this. So if you're looking to feel like a teenage girl--this series is for you!

The series is as follows:
Doon
Destined for Doon
Shades of Doon
Forever Doon

You can buy the book here if you are interested!


Comments

Popular Posts