A Letter to a Young Reader

Dear Young Reader,

I hear you when you say that you think reading is boring--that you hate reading. I hear you when you say that you don't have time to read on top of all of your extra-curricular activities. I hear you when you proudly pronounce that you've never read a single book in your life.

I know that your hate of reading probably stems from teachers assigning books that no kid would want read on their own or smothering you with stacks and stacks of worksheets to fill out as you read. I know that your house may not be lined with books and shelves like some of your classmates. But I'm here to tell you, it can be different! You can learn to love reading!

I wish I could share with you the joy that I find when I read. I remember my parents reading books to us before bed and I try to do the same for my daughter. I remember when I was your age that I would go to the library every single day during study hall. I'd find a new book to read and then take it home that night and finish it--ready to do the exact same thing the next day. I absolutely loved it! I was a voracious reader from the start.

I can see that spark in you sometimes, when you pick up a book that catches your interest. When you get really excited about a character or something that happens in your book, I do my best to take that little spark and add fire to it! I ask you about the book and if I haven't read it, I add it to my list. At times you're the kid who wants to read the Harry Potter series over and over again for the rest of your life. Or other times you're the kid who won't touch a novel, but loves the comic books, graphic novels, and manga that I try to keep on my shelf. At least you're reading...you'll get there!

I wish that I knew exactly what book would engage you every single time. But sometimes it is hit or miss because I can't read your mind. I know that it's important for you to learn on your own how to select books that you will enjoy. I hope that every once in a while you'll give a book a chance, when at first glance it seems like it wouldn't be a book you'd like. Even I'm still surprised by a book every once in a while!

Just remember, it's okay to abandon a book halfway through if it's torture to finish it.

I love when we are in the library and you look at me pleadingly or wave me over and ask me for help finding a book. Sometimes you know what you're looking for and sometimes you need a lot of help! I'm always willing to help you find that book that might change your outlook on life.

A student with Ransom Riggs, the author of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series
I wish that I could tell your parents why reading is more important and more beneficial than so many of the other activities in your life. So many of your parents were just like you and they didn't realize how good reading was. I'm grateful for those of you with parents who have passed on a love of reading to their kids. It might not seem like reading books about wizards and dragons will have an effect on your future, but I promise you they will!

And I hope that somehow, you'll get the opportunity to meet one of your favorite authors. One of my students fell in love with a book series and was lucky enough to get to meet the author and have him sign his newest book. That's what makes books come alive! So be on the look out for those chances...because your favorite authors can be your heroes as much as any movie star or athlete!

I hope that you'll take notice of all the adults around you in your life that read. There are readers all over the place that love the same books as you. I hope that you'll see them as your role models and try to become like them. Maybe you're not a reader now, but you can be one someday!

Sincerely,
A Lover of Books


Comments

Popular Posts