Wayward Son

Earlier this year I posted my most anticipated books of 2019 and included many of the books I was looking forward to reading as they came out the second half of this year. Unfortunately, as a teacher and someone on a budget, I mostly read what I can get my hands on at libraries and only occasionally have the funds to purchase a book of my own choosing. This means that I've only managed to get my hands on one of the books that I was most anticipating this year.

That book was Wayward Son, the sequel to Rainbow Rowell's Carry On. Carry On is all about Simon Snow, the chosen one, and trying to survive his last year at the Watford School of Magicks with his friends. I like to think of it as sort of a Harry Potter fanfiction. But it has its own unique plot and rules about magic. So I really enjoyed the first book of the series. You can purchase a copy here!

The second book was highly anticipated of course, so when I saw it for a good price at Barnes and Noble, I scooped it up.

Wayward Son is the rest of the story--what happens after the chosen one completes his mission...the "happily ever after." Simon and his friends end up adventuring across the American West. They encounter all sorts of new magical creatures and have to defend themselves against the lawlessness that is the exact opposite of what they're used to in England. Despite the danger, it really is just like a typical college road trip.

I love the sassy and strong female characters in the book that support Simon. Baz and Simon used to be roommates and enemies but now team up together to fight against threats. The characters have aged a little since the last book and you can tell they have matured some in the way that they act and think about things. But there is still some of that teenage irrationality that we can all relate to.

The book gives you a taste of the magical world that we all love from Harry Potter with all the magical rules, organizations, and fantastical creatures while also giving you something original. It doesn't feel like a repeat of J.K. Rowling's world. It has important elements in its own right.

I don't want to give away too much if you haven't read the first book either. But both books have a healthy dose of adventure, magic, and romance. I really liked both of them and would recommend them to anyone who loves fantasy, adventure, and romance in a YA read. If you're interested, you can purchase a copy here!

The third book in the series, Any Way the Wind Blows, will be out in the next year or two and I can't wait to find out how the story of Simon and his friends will continue.

Comments

Popular Posts