Light as a Feather

Like a lot of people, I binge watch a lot of TV. Sometimes I run out of shows to watch and just end up browsing. With a little trial and error I can usually find something that interests me. A few months ago the show that I binged on Hulu was Light as a Feather--a Hulu original.

I enjoyed it enough to watch a season and a half of it. However, what I didn't realize when I watched it is that it was based on a book! Gotta love those adaptations...so when I saw the copy of a book with the same name as the show at the junior high library, I knew I had to pick it up and compare!

Light as a Feather by Zoe Aarsen is about McKenna Brady, a junior in high school  who has finally managed to work her way into the popular crowd at school. Olivia Richmond is the most popular girl in school and the night of her 16th birthday sleepover, things change forever. The new girl at school, Violet, leads the group in the game "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board" and tells stories about all the ways that the girls will die. It's unsettling for everyone but it's just a harmless pre-teen sleepover game, right?

Until one week later when Olivia dies, exactly the way Violet described it. Now the other girls are left wondering if they'll be next and what they can do to stop it.

I'm really grateful that the book wasn't super creepy. Obviously with the premise it has its scary moments. However, I didn't feel like I couldn't read it alone in bed at night. I'm not much of a horror book person so I felt like this walked the line between suspenseful and creepy well enough for me.

Despite the creepiness, there is even a little romance in the story as well. There's also the typical teenage angst and drama which is simply intensified by the life or death situations they find themselves in. So anyone who loves some YA thriller literature is gonna love Light as a Feather.

In terms of how it matched up with the book, the TV show goes a lot further than the book does so I'm curious to read the second book in the series. The thing that they changed the most I feel like are the family dynamics. It's hard to tell why they made the changes they did--if they felt like the book versions wouldn't play out well on TV or whatever it was. But the trajectory of the story-line remains the same and I'm glad that it was that way.

But obviously, the book is always better. I feel like there was so much good foreshadowing and information that was in the book that for time's sake simply had to be left out of the tv show. Can't really beat that...

Like I said, in terms of deciding if this book is for you, you'll like this if you're a fan of YA, teen drama, creepiness, thriller books, and overall, well-written books. You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts