Space Case

This book was thrust upon me by a student who wouldn't take "no" for an answer. He lent it to me right on the spot and insisted that I let him know what I thought when I finish. I love seeing students so enthusiastic about books that I absolutely had to!

The book my student selected for me was Space Case by Stuart Gibbs, the first in a series of space adventures. Dashiell Gibson is one of the first people to live on the moon. He, his family, and many of the other scientists living on the moon were lured there with the promises of adventure and the first-class amenities of Moon Base Alpha. But honestly, it's really boring and they have to put up with terrible food, cramped living space, and even some companions that are less than agreeable. 

But life suddenly becomes so much more exciting for Dash when the top scientist on the base turns up dead--just after Dash heard him say that he has an important new discovery to reveal. Dash believes it's murder...but there's only a small list of suspects on the moon base and having to live with a killer seems like a worse idea by the minute. But can he convince the adults before it's too late?

This book was all the things I love in a middle-grade adventure/mystery book. There were some great characters--especially Dash--that kids can fall in love with. There are a couple plot twists thrown in to make things interesting. And it's set in space! What's not to love!

My understanding of the rest of the series is that it covers even more adventures of Dash on Moon Base Alpha has things continue to go awry. I'll definitely plan on reading the rest of it when I have a chance.

This series actually reminds me of The Last Day on Mars by Kevin Emerson, the first book in The Chronicle of the Dark Star. It's a little more juvenile than this other trilogy...but they have the same aspects of space adventure, mystery-solving, and a fantastic setting. So if you loved the Moon Base Alpha series, you'll also love the Chronicle of the Dark Star series that I reviewed here.

Stuart Gibbs is also the author of the highly popular Spy School series which my students love to read and recommend. You can purchase a copy of Space Case here. 

Comments

Popular Posts