Chronicle of the Dark Star

I'm always on the lookout for new series of books. A good series mean that if I get my students hooked on one book, I can keep them reading for longer. They worry less about what the next book that they will read is and spend less time struggling to find one that they like. So I'm always happy when I can find a great one!

This is one of my favorite science fiction series that I've discovered this past year. It is the Chronicle of the Dark Star series by Kevin Emerson.  I read the first book Last Day on Mars and The Oceans Between Stars, the second book, back in the fall but the third, The Shores beyond Time didn't come out until February 12th.

I had pre-ordered the book and it arrived in the mail last month. I already had several books in my "to-read" pile so I took it to school and gave it to one of my students who LOVED the first two books in the series. It was passed around to a few of my other students who had read the first two and then I finally got my hands on it again this week!

The series is about Liam Saunders-Chang, a young teenage boy who is one of the last humans left on Mars in Earth year 2213 after the human race fled to Mars. This is only a temporary solution while they prepare for a trip to a distant star in order to escape the sun which has begun the process of going supernova. Liam, along with his best friend Phoebe will be on the last star-liner to depart Mars before it is destroyed. On their last day on Mars, they make some enormous discoveries about the nature of time and space as the human race struggles to survive in the universe. The rest of the series follows their adventures as they seek out their new home.

Let me tell you, the second and third books only succeed in becoming more and more action packed. I found myself shocked and surprised at so many of the sudden twists that Emerson throws at his readers. Liam is also a very endearing character and I found myself cheering for him in his successes and his desire to discover and protect those that he loves. I really enjoyed this entire series and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a great middle-grade science fiction series. You can order your own copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts