The Wacky World of Idiots

I am so grateful for authors who are willing to share their work with teachers in hopes that they can help get their books in the hands of students. I was able to get my hands on a copy of Idiot Genius Willa Snap and the Clockwerk Boy thanks to the generosity of the author, Richard Due. Now that I've had a chance to read it, tomorrow I'm going to spend all day talking it up to my students!

Idiot Genius Willa Snap and the Clockwerk Boy is written by Richard Due and illustrated by Carolyn Arcabascio. This book centers on the idea that everyone fits into categories of Genius, Idiots, and Idiot Geniuses. Thanks to Willa Snap's mother, her entire family is kidnapped and taken to Grandeur, a place specifically created to save the world from Idiot Geniuses--crazy scientists who might accidentally blow up the world. She is suddenly thrown into this amazing world with clockwerk boys, talking elephants, dragons, ninja assassins, and time-travel. This is just the first adventure of Willa Snap's as she navigates her new surroundings and makes friends along the way.

There are so many things that I love about this book. The writing itself is playful and creative. Even from the very first page I was drawn in! I could tell this that this would be a fun book. Willa Snap is a relatable character that handles all of the challenges that are thrown at her. The other characters that are introduced constantly had flavor to the story. There are a lot of characters which can be a little confusing at times but I can see how in future books this will become easier as we get to know them better.

I cannot wait to read a sequel by Richard Due. I expect that more adventures with Willa Snap with be just as fun, fascinating, and fearless as this first novel. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves a good middle-grade novel with elements of adventure, sci-fi, and steam-punk!

Comments

Popular Posts