The Art of Taxidermy

The Art of Taxidermy? When I first saw the title of this upcoming YA novel, I was really unsure about what this book would be about, let alone whether or not I'd like it. But I'm so glad that I read this.

The Art of Taxidermy is a YA novel by Sharon Kernot that is written entirely in verse. The main character of the book is Lottie, the Australian born daughter of German immigrants. Her mother died when she was little and since then she has been obsessed with death. Lottie becomes obsessed with dead animals and the idea of taxidermy. She loves the idea of bringing the animals back to life and making them perfect. Her aunt objects to her new hobby saying that it is disgusting and not right for a girl to pursue. Her father isn't really sure what to do at first.

As her family comes to terms with her new hobby, can Lottie come to terms with the way that death has affected her life and everything she loves? I really hope that you guys can give the book a chance and find out. You can purchase your own copy here when it comes out in August!

The verse contributes a lot to the beauty of the novel and the language that Kernot uses. Lottie's obsession with death and the resurrection of the small animals that she loves so much is what really makes this book. The reader is looking at it all through her perspective--looking at death through more innocent eyes.

I'm certain that people who struggle with poetry might not like reading an entire book in verse. This was my first time reading an entire novel in verse and I ended up really liking it.

Even the cover of the novel is beautiful and devoted to nature. It hints at the beauty inside!

Comments

Popular Posts