Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

This next book I'm going to review is not your typical fiction book--because it's an anthology! That means that it's a collection of stories from several authors. And I love this so much. Because you get to hear different perspectives from different people all writing with a variety of voices. Yet, there is a strand that connects all of these stories together. 

Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance is a collection of stories and poems that relates to the effect that young people can have on history, on their communities, in their own lives as they fight against racism, prejudice, and injustice by the small little acts that they do.

While every bit of this anthology was amazing and well written, a few of the stories stood out to me specifically.

First, "As You Were" by Bethany C. Morrow, the editor of this anthology. This is the story of a young black teen who is in marching band--and she feels like she finally has a chance with her crush who happens to be white. But then something happens that puts everything into perspective and draws her into a shocking reality. The ending to this short story really stopped me in my tracks and I had to sit and ponder on it for a while before I was ready to take in the rest of the book.

Second, "Parker Outside the Box", by Ray Stoeve, is the story of a non-binary teen discovering their voice and their ability to affect the lives of others as they mentor a younger transgender boy. This one spoke to me since I have several non-binary and LGBTQ students in my classes. I hope that I can share this story with them and they can feel empowered. 

The last story that I really enjoyed with "Aurora Rising" by Yamile Saied. I loved this one because it is set in Utah. It mentions several places that I know personally and I think that this would also get my students excited to read this story. But I also thought this story touched on some critical points right around the election. It tells the story of a teen girl who finally speaks out against microaggressions that she experiences at the hands of her "friends." I know that it is also time for me to use my privilege as a white woman to speak up for those who are hurt by the policies and actions of others and this story inspired me.

There were so many other great authors included in this anthology and they all spoke to me in different ways. There were so many current issues addressed in these stories and poems. I felt angered and empowered at the same time! I think that this would be an excellent book to share with students.

This anthology also won the 2020 ILA Social Justice in Literature Award. "This award is presented to honor books that address social responsibility toward individuals, communities, societies, and/or the environment as well as invite social reflection and socially responsible action by the reader."

I would recommend this book for anyone looking to build empathy for marginalized groups in the United States. I'd recommend those that are marginalized and trying to find the courage to speak up and speak out. I'd recommend this book for teachers looking to share culturally responsive literature with their students. You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts