The Guinevere Deception

This isn't the first book that I've read by Kiersten White. I reviewed her book The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein earlier this year. She is also the author of several other books including the Paranormalcy series as well as The Conquerer's Saga series. I haven't read either of those series but after having read two of her books and loving them, I'd gamble on the fact that I'd enjoy the others too!

I saw this book back in the spring and was really excited by the premise and this gorgeous cover! So I preordered the book--which I honestly don't do very often--because I wanted to get my hands on it as soon as I could.

This will also be the second book I've reviewed this year that is an adaptation of Arthurian legend. (The other was King Arthur and Her Knights). I feel like I'm fairly familiar with Arthurian legends and know the story of Arthur, Guinevere, and Mordred but I still was SHOOK throughout the story. There were things that I should have seen coming but somehow didn't. This is what impressed me most about Kiersten's writing.

The Guinevere Deception is about young Princess Guinevere coming to Camelot to marry King Arthur. She has been sent by the wizard Merlin to protect the King from the magical threat to the kingdom. Her true identity and real name is a secret because she is a changeling and has given up her old life to protect Camelot and its ideals.

In order to do her job of keeping Arthur safe, Guinevere has to learn how to deal with the demands of being queen all while practicing magic in Camelot where it is forbidden. Guinevere finds herself feeling more than just loyalty for Arthur--perhaps this isn't simply a marriage of convenience. But she must remain focused in order to protect him from deadly jousts, secret enemies, and magic.

Like I said--I was constantly surprised despite the fact that the characters and aspects of the story were familiar. It was always a pleasant shock to have a new addition or twist in the story. I absolutely loved it and at the end, I was left wanting more!

However, since The Guinevere Deception was released on November 5th, that means that I'm probably going to be waiting a long while for the second book in the trilogy to come out. I absolutely cannot wait and believe me I'll be preordering it as well. In the meantime, purchase your copy of the first book here!

Comments

Popular Posts