Front Desk

Front Desk by Kelly Yang is one of the most heart-warming books that I have read all year. It is just another reminder of why I love reading middle-grade fiction. Even though they frequently tackle tough topics, they remind me of the goodness of young people and that is why I love teaching junior high!

Front Desk is about a young girl named Mia Tang. She and her parents have immigrated from China to the United States. But unfortunately, living in the US hasn't been the ideal dream that they pictured. They struggle to make ends meet despite Mia's willingness to help out with jobs after school. The Tang family feels like a million bucks when they see an ad for a motel offering free rent for someone to manage the motel. But when they accept the job and start working, they realize this isn't going to be a walk in the park. Especially when they discover just how mean the owner of the motel, Mr. Yao, really is. Her parents spend all day cleaning the motel rooms with harsh chemicals and Mia has to man the front desk--but she realizes that even that won't be easy. Figuring out how to make the customers happy, charging them the right amount of money, and keeping the motel safe are all problems Mia must tackle.

Not only does Mia face all of these problems at home. But at school Mia has to deal with trying to fit in when she can't afford jeans and trying to make friends with kids who live in actual houses and have dogs and trampolines. It doesn't help that Jason Yao is in her class and doesn't seem to like her at all. Learning how to navigate all of this plus learning how to speak and read and write in her new language makes for a tough time for Mia Tang. But she makes the best of it!

One of the things that I absolutely loved about this book is how much I can see this book reflected in the lives of my own students. I teach the English Language Development class. Many of my students are immigrants or their parents or grandparents are. I hear from them all the time about struggling to make ends meet, how some of my junior high kids even have jobs after school under the table, and how hard it is to learn a new language. This book is absolutely something that I want to share with them because I think they would love it!

I've had this book for a while. I think I got it through the Scholastic Book Order but I haven't been able to read it because one of my students got her hands on it first. She absolutely enjoyed the book. She would tell me all the time how much she was loving it! So once she was done I jumped on the chance to read it. She was just about dying when I told her that there is a sequel coming out next fall--Three Keys. We are both looking forward to it very much!

Kelly at a motel growing up
Kelly Yang herself is just as impressive as her book. Much of the book is based on Kelly's own experiences growing up in California. She immigrated to the US when she was 6 years old. She and her parents worked in three different motels. Many of the things that happen to Mia and her parents in the book actually happened to Kelly and her parents. Kelly worked hard at school and went to college at the age of 13, then law school at the age of 17. She is the found of The Kelly Yang Project, a writing and debating program for kids in Asia. Besides Three Keys, her YA debut novel Parachutes is also set to come out in 2020.

This lovely middle grade book is a super easy read. But like I said, such a heart-warming story about immigrants in which many young people can relate to the main character. It's perfect for lovers of realistic fiction and middle grade stories!

Comments

Eva said…
I love how you related this book to your own experiences as a teacher and the stories they share with you. This book is so relevant to so many children today. As a speech language pathologist working in the public schools, I also had a lot of interaction with immigrant families. Good for Kelly Yang for writing a YA book about her experiences instead of a book for adults. This is an important sub-genre within the YA books - kids especially in middle school need to be able to read books they can relate to.

Thanks for the review, Leah!

Popular Posts