The Gems of Elsana: The Magpie Isles

Some of my more faithful readers might remember my review last year of a new fantasy series ARC that I got my hands on. I loved it and wrote a review of The Gems of Elsana: Into the Wildbarrens by Christian Sterling. You can read my review of it here. I've been waiting and waiting for months to get my hands on the second book so when I saw that Sterling was looking for some ARC readers. I leaped at the chance and have spent the last few days loving my time returning to Elsana.

The Magpie Isles brings us right back where book one left off--The young wizard Falin and his champion companions have finished collecting the first two gems for Falin's staff and have left the Wildbarrens in search of the next gem, somewhere in the Magpie Isles. These are uncharted territories and they encounter many strange things that both aid them and deter them from their mission. It is a race to find Hadrones, the island where Falin's gem is supposed to be before two Warlocks, Nyril and Mulgus, arrive there first, seeking the fabled Curo's Knife--the wielder of which will hold immense power over the darkness that could be used to bring death and destruction to all the kingdoms. The company is faced with challenge after challenge as they continue their journey to further Falin's quest and spread light across Elsana.

As I was reading I was reminded what I loved so much about the first book. I love that it is a Tolkien style quest--with a large company and wonderful mythical creatures. But I also love the way that Sterling makes into a more casual tale. There is a lot of humor and playfulness throughout the book that makes it a fun read.

But that doesn't mean that it is all fun and games. There are a lot of terrifying things and emotional moments in the book. At times I found myself surprised, shocked, and horrified by things I was reading (I really DO NOT handle scary books well). There were a few times when I thought I'd cry because of some of the events of the book. All of this just goes to show how invested Sterling's writing makes you in the plight of Falin and his friends.

As the series progresses we continue to find out more and more information about Falin and all of his companions. They are each lovable and unique in their own ways and it is so easy to become attached to them as they go along with their journey. I really can't wait to see what the third book will bring for the fate of Elsana and the quest.

Anyone who loves fantasy, humor, adventure, friendship, and good vs. evil stories will really enjoy this series. Here you can purchase a copy of the first book if you need to catch up.

You can pre-order a copy of The Magpie Isles here. It looks like the expected publication date is May 29th, 2020! Buy it now so you can get your hands on it as soon as it comes out!

Comments

Popular Posts