Six of Crows

Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone trilogy is one that I've kind of steered clear of because of all the hype. I'm always nervous to read them and feel like I'm disappointed because my expectations were so high. But we loaded up on books from my school library before the building was closed and my sisters were planning on reading them. One of my younger sisters had read that series as well as the Six of Crows duology by Bardugo set in the same fantasy universe and pushed me to read the duology first since she personally liked it better. Though it is set after the trilogy, there is no necessity that you read one series before the other.

So this week I managed to read Bardugo's Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. And if you've seen these books, you'll know that's no easy feat. The first book is 465 pages and the second is 536. But this series is worth the time and effort it takes to read. I loved every second of reading them! I'll attempt to discuss both books in this post without giving too much away about the outcomes of the books.

Six of Crows is set in Bardugo's Grisha universe. Multiple nations attempt to survive while fighting against each other for resources--especially the powers of the Grisha or wielders of various types of magic. This novel is specifically set in Ketterdam, an international trade port that is host to people of all types--especially criminals like Kaz Brekker, who has built an impressive reputation for himself despite his young age. He is approached by a rich merchant with an offer of money too high for him to refuse--IF, he can infiltrate the impenetrable Ice Court and rescue an invaluable prisoner in the fight for magical powers. To accomplish this heist, he recruits the best people he knows to get the job done. His crew includes: a gambling sharpshooter, a spy who can make herself practically invisible, a Grisha with healing powers, a privileged runaway, and an escaped convict who simply wants revenge.

These characters have some of the most compelling, heartbreaking, and interesting backstories that I have ever read. Bardugo does such an amazing job of fleshing out her characters--even the villains--with little details that are spread over the course of the two books. She never gives away things all at once and is a master at foreshadowing. By the end of the duology, I was so attached to each of the characters and wanting them to accomplish their goals and dreams.

Plot wise--this is a heist novel. There are a lot of things happening all at once and each thing has to go off without a hitch and you wonder whether they can really pull it off. Is it believable? Of course not, but it's a fantasy novel and like I said, you're rooting for these characters. So we go along with it. There are also a lot of plot twists and turns and surprises that always keep you on your toes.

I will warn you that the first book ends with a pretty big cliff hanger. So if you're planning on reading it, make sure you have the second book ready to go so you don't have to wait to continue the action!

Overall, I'm very impressed by the quality of the writing and the expanse of the word-building in this series. It has opened my mind to Bardugo's other books and I will most likely be reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy when I get a chance.

I would say that this book is solidly YA. It has a little bit of language on occasion and some hints at sexuality but nothing overt. However, it does have a lot of violence. Kaz's crew has no qualms about killing and some parts are quite tragic. Keep that in mind if you are squeamish.

Other than that, if you're a fan of fantasy, heists, impossible scenarios, smooth criminals, and beautiful writing, you'll love this YA duology. You can purchase a copy of the first book here. 

Comments

Popular Posts