More Graphic Novels

Sorry, not sorry for this post all about more of the graphic novels that I've been devouring lately. I think since I had my reading doldrums earlier this year, I'm finding that my mind needs a little bit of a break from tackling some of the tougher books that I have been in the past.

This reminds me that students are like this too. Sometimes they are forced to read academically difficult texts at school all day so when it comes to reading for pleasure they want something light and easier to consume. This leads them to read graphic novels.

I Am Alfonso Jones by Tony Medina; Illustrated by Stacey Robinson and John Jennings

This book is great for readers who loved Dear Martin or The Hate U Give. In terms of a graphic novel, it is pretty heavy and tackles a lot of the racial discrimination issue that our country faces when it comes to police brutality.

The story is about Alfonso Jones, a private school student and bike messenger, and his experiences as a ghost when he is shot by police while shopping for a suit. You experience the story through his perspective as well as that of his family and classmates as they mourn his loss.

The art itself was super creative and playful at times to juxtapose the tough topic. It has a lot of flashbacks and metaphorical representations that I could see being confusing for some younger YA readers. I definitely will continue to include it on my shelf as a graphic novel choice for my students so they can be exposed to these topics and my students of color feel like they have representation.

Suee and the Shadow by Ginger Ly; Illustrated by Molly Park

Suee is new to her school and feels like quite a loner. She thinks that she might as well just keep to herself. When her shadow suddenly starts to act differently and the whole school is in danger, she realizes that she might need to make friends and work together as a team in order to just survive.

This one was a fun little book that would even be appropriate for slightly younger audiences (8-10 yrs old). It has a great moral at the end of the book and the art is great. The students who have read it so far really enjoyed it and recommended it to their friends.


Friends with Boys by Faith Erin Hicks

This graphic novel is about a teen girl named Maggie who has always been homeschooled by her mother. But her mom has now left and she has to go to high school with her brothers. She is used to living in a crazy house full of boys--but will that be enough to help her survive high school? And there are also ghosts involved!

This book is all about Maggie coming to terms with the big changes that are happening in her life and learning how to deal with family relationships and make new friends.

Several of my students really liked this book though I think the title scares away some of my boy students. I think that it would be appropriate for teens age 12-14.



Go With the Flow by Lily Williams and Karen Schneemann

This book is about a group of friends who band together over their shared experience of having a period. They decide to fight back against the school when the machines that are supposed to have tampons in the girl's bathroom are always empty but the football team gets new uniforms almost every year. In a world where periods are something that people just don't talk about, the girls will have to be bold enough to share their message.

I LOVED THIS BOOK all about girl power and the normalcy of periods. When I book talked this one to my students they were super weirded out. All the girls kinda giggled and the boys were grossed out. I had a brave girl student who read it first and since then, whenever it's been on my shelf, one of my girl students will sneak over and read it. They've also said that they enjoy it and I think that it's interesting to them to see books about periods and to make it so it's not such a strange topic.

Almost American Girl by Robin Ha

This is a graphic novel memoir--which I love--because it becomes all the more striking students when they know it is a true story. Robin is a Korean born girl who suddenly moves with her mom to Alabama in her teen years--leaving behind friends, familiar places, and familiar foods at a key point in her life. She talks about the struggles of making new friends, enjoying her old hobbies, and learning a difficult language in a new country.

I love reading immigrant stories because I work with so many students who are immigrants. I think that as they have the opportunity to read about people who experience struggles like they do. Many of them have read it now and always really liked it. I think that it also helps students who aren't immigrants to experience empathy and understand how those who are new students to the school and the country might feel.


If you've got any other recommendations for graphic novels that might be good in a classroom library, please let me know! I'm always looking for more since my kids devour them so quickly!

Comments

Popular Posts