The Reading Doldrums

It's now been a little over a month since I last finished a book. I have to say that this is very unusual for me, but it happens to everyone--I'm stuck in the doldrums! The slumps! A rut... I'm just about as busy as I've always been but I can't seem to get any reading into my schedule.

December was a pretty prolific month for me in terms of reading novels and writing reviews but then as soon as January hit I got stuck. I started off trying to read a book that my sister gifted to me for Christmas which was the first thing I think that got me stuck. I love getting books as gifts and about 95% I enjoy them but this one was a miss for me.

The book my sister gave me was City of Bones, the first book in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. Now don't get me wrong--this is a very popular book! It has over SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND 5 star ratings on Goodreads, the series has 6 installments, and I believe it has also been turned into a TV show. But I just could not get into it. I managed to push myself about a third of the way through the book and just found myself not wanting to pick it up and read it. While a lot of people have enjoyed this book, I just didn't. I didn't feel emotionally invested in what happened to the characters enough to want to finish this book. But unfortunately, I think trying to muck my way through this novel just left me feeling like I was in the doldrums.

To try to get back into the spirit, I purchased a couple of books from one of my favorite bookstores--The King's English in Salt Lake City. And let me tell you--I found a good one. I'm now in the middle of reading Francesca Zappia's Now Entering Adamsville about a small town and the ghost problems that they have. So far I'm loving it but it's still taking me a while to finish it--a lot longer than I normally would take. But hopefully once I finish it, I'll be ready to tackle something new without slipping back down that slippery slope.

Thanks to my reading hiatus I'm 9 books behind schedule to meet my goal for reading 120 books this year. I guess we will see if I can catch back up!

Comments

Popular Posts