Now Entering Adamsville

I wish that I could spend every single weekend in a bookstore but obviously that's not really feasible ever. But I do make an effort to go to one any chance that I get to just browse or buy books for me and my students. I'm always on the lookout for attention grabbing titles and covers--you definitely CAN judge a book by its cover!

One of my favorite independent bookstores to frequent is The King's English in Salt Lake City. It is such a cute little bookstore and the staff are always so helpful and friendly. I often find myself sitting on the floor in a corner trying to pick out a book and I end up buying them all! Well, one weekend over winter break I found myself drawn to a particular book with such a gorgeous, colorful cover. So I bought it! And it took me a while to finish it just because January was such a struggle. (See my Reading Slump post here). But it was such a good book!

Now Entering Adamsville by Francesca Zappia is centered all around the little town of Adamsville, Indiana. It's a small town that brings tourists in because of its history of ghost stories and no one is more keenly aware of the ghost in town than Zora, a teenage girl who has the ability to see them! Unfortunately, Zora is accused of arson when the house of a local is burned down and no one has any leads on the real killer. To prove her innocence, she has to team up with her cousin Artemis and a ragtag team of a few other supporters. Having the cast of a popular ghost hunting show in town doesn't seem to help matters either. Hopefully Zora and crew can solve the mystery before the arsonist burns all of Adamsville to the ground.

Personally I loved all of the supernatural happenings in this book. I've been a lot into books about witches, etc. this year and I felt like that just kept the pattern going. Zappia puts her own little twist on it however with "firestarters." From my understanding they are more like demons that enter our world through portals. Anyway, I don't want to give too much away but I felt like Zappia takes a lot of the classic supernatural stereotypes and then adds some cool things to the town of Adamsville and Zora.

The only disclaimer I have is that there are a lot of characters in this book. Of course, some of them are more important than others but every once in a while I'd have to stop and remind myself about who the character was. I think this happens as a result of Adamsville being such a small town and therefore Zappia name drops a lot of people since everyone in a small town knows each other and knows each other's business.

Two of Francesca Zappia's other popular books are Made You Up and Eliza and Her Monsters both of which deal a lot with mental health--anxiety and paranoid schizophrenia. I haven't personally read them (they are on my TBR list) but one of the counselors at my school read Eliza and Her Monsters and gave it 5 STARS!!

So I would highly recommend Now Entering Adamsville for anyone looking for good YA, supernatural fiction, small-town setting, or determined female protagonist books! You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts