Cold as Marble

It's not very often that I end up reading sequels so close together. A lot of times I feel like I need recap before I start reading the next book in the series. But luckily this time I didn't!

A week or two ago I got the chance to read Light as a Feather by Zoe Aarsen. I had binged the Hulu series that it is based on and picked up the book from my school library! I'm so glad I did because it was such a great read. You can read my full review of it here.

But basically a group of teenage girls get sucked into a dangerous game of "Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board" where their deaths are predicted and start to come true. It was extremely suspenseful! It has a great balance of the supernatural, a little romance, and teenage angst.

So this week while on vacation, I had the chance to read Cold as Marble, the second book in the series which Zoe Aarsen was sweet enough to send me when she saw that I had loved the first book. And I have to say that this one was just as great as the first!

It's easy to see that the TV show departs even more from the second book than it does the first. I think that the tv show is fun and interesting and suspenseful. But I definitely prefer the book.

I don't want to spoil too much about the second book since a lot of it is based on what happens in the first book. But just when McKenna thinks that she and her family and friends are safe from the curse they brought upon themselves by playing the game, they are pulled back into danger. There's just as much suspense and action and plotting to end things.

There is an increased amount of supernatural in this book--curses, magic, witches, mediums, spirits. McKenna is learning about these things in an effort to help their situation. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book. A lot of the reviews and blurbs compare it to the Netflix series The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina which hearkens back to Sabrina: The Teenage Witch. I can see those aspects here but I really enjoyed the way Aarsen went about it.

I felt like the book kept up the relationships and characters that were established in the first book and I was drawn to keep reading about them to see what will happen. The book once again left things pretty open ended so that once again I AM DYING TO READ THE NEXT BOOK!!

Overall, I'd recommended Light as a Feather and Cold as Marble to those who like YA, thriller books, the supernatural, and teen drama. It is very well written and totally worth the time of reading. You can purchase a copy of Cold as Marble here.

Comments

Popular Posts