Planet Earth is Blue

I'm so grateful that I was given a copy of this book. I love book mail and was so excited when it arrived! I had heard a lot of things about this book on social media so I couldn't wait to start reading.

First off, space if like a big deal in my house. My husband is a die-hard Trekker (lover of Star Trek if you aren't aware) and has been obsessed with space since he was little. He designs star-ships on the computer in his spare time and is always telling me the latest news about what is happening in space and all the discoveries being made. As evidence of his love for space here is a picture of the astronaut pajamas he bought our daughter (sadly she doesn't fit them anymore) and the ABCs of Space book that he enjoys reading to her.





I think that my husband and the main character of this novel, Nova, would get along really well!

Planet Earth Is Blue is about Nova, a twelve-year-old girl who is autistic. She is incredibly smart and loves space. She also loves her sister, Bridget, who can always understand what she is trying to say and takes care of her. They have managed to stick together through years of being in foster family after foster family. But now Nova finds herself with a foster family that she thinks might end up being a forever family--but she is all alone! Bridget promised that she would always find her and that they would watch the launch of the space shuttle Challenger together. Now Nova is counting down the days until liftoff and when she can see her sister again.


This novel really gives you insight into what it is like for many autistic kids like Nova who have difficulty expressing themselves but are incredibly intelligent and just want people to be able to understand them. Nova is such a relatable character for all kids her age who are just trying to tackle every day life of understanding relationships, loss, and disappointment.

The author, Nicole Panteleakos, prior to becoming a writer was an instructor at a school for autistic children. The way that this book is written really demonstrates the love and passion that she has for these kids and helping those with limited speech to communicate. Planet Earth Is Blue is her debut novel so I hope that you will support her by purchasing your own copy here.

And if you need another book with an autistic character, check out my review of Gillian McDunn's Caterpillar Summer.

This is a beautifully written book that I would recommend for those who enjoy reading about space, the 80s, autistic characters, strongly bonded sisters, foster care, and just about anyone who enjoys middle grade books! Check it out and let me know what you think.

Comments

Popular Posts