Educated

It's been about a year since Tara Westover's Educated was published, so I'm a little behind the times in reading this book. But it was proposed as a sort of book club book for our junior high faculty so I finally was able to get my hands on a copy and read it.

And I DEFINITELY read it. I only teach half time so I stay home with my daughter every other day and I spent my entire day reading this book. I devoured it because it was so fascinating. It is definitely a very well written memoir that makes for a very engaging read. I kept wanting to read and find out what happens next in Tara's unique life.

If you aren't familiar, Educated is the story of how Tara Westover was born to Mormon survivalists in the mountains of Idaho. She wasn't allowed to attend school growing up but managed to follow in her older brother's footsteps and escape her isolated life to attend college. After receiving an education, she reflects on her upbringing and just how dysfunctional her family is.

Like I said, it is such a fascinating read. And as outsiders looking in on this family, I am constantly shocked and surprised by things that happen to Tara and her family because of their beliefs and the way things worked in their family.

It definitely is eye-opening to see how people can be raised in other parts of the country. It was hard for me at times to keep the perspective that Westover was born in 1986. This isn't even something that happened a long time ago, but so recently!

I've been surprised, as I've done some research and reading, at the amount of kickback that Westover has gotten. Many people who are completely removed from her and her family have a hard time believing her story and wonder why someone so young would ever write a memoir. I think that while the story is only written from the perspective of Tara, it is an amazing story that I know she needed to tell, we have to remember that none of us have the same inside look into her family and are not capable of passing judgement on what actually happened!

I recommend this book for anyone looking for an interesting memoir to read!

Comments

Popular Posts