How to Find a Great Book to Read














For this post, I wanted to share my tips for picking out great books to read. These are the things I do when I'm looking for books to add to my to-read list:


1. Word of Mouth

Talking to your friends can be a great method for finding out about great new books as well as unknown old classics. This method was how I found out about Michelle Moran and all her wonderful books! I was talking to a friend at work while on break and she told me all about the many books that Michelle Moran had written and gave a raving review!

Your friends are frequently the people that are most similar to you...You have similar tastes and likes...which is why you're friends! If they've read a book and loved it, chances are that you will too. So I'm constantly asking around to know what new books my friends have read or ones that they've always enjoyed reading. Sometimes their responses surprise me and I take the opportunity to read a book that I would never have read otherwise.

2. Goodreads

Goodreads is an amazing resource that I have always loved! First and foremost it's a great way to keep track of the books that you have read before. But you can also create a list of books that you want to read. You can organize the books on "shelves" as well, according to preferences such as genre. The site will generate recommended lists of books based on what you have read previously...It's a pretty neat way to find new books since they'll suggest books from genres that you already like.

3. Social Media

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter...These are amazing tools of technology that have found me many, many new books to read. There are so many great "bookstagrams" out there. I probably add a new book that I see on Instagram to my to-read list every day. I usually will see a title or a cover that I like and look up the book to see if the summary looks interesting. I follow a lot of people on Instagram that take amazing photos and give good suggestions for books to read:




On Twitter, following publishing companies and bookstores also gets me quite a few recommendations. Here are a few tweets I've seen:



4. Library/Bookstore

Sometimes when I really have no idea what I want to read next, I take a short stroll around the library or the bookstore. This can be dangerous, especially with the bookstore because before I know it I'll have bought the whole store. There are frequently new books on prominent display both at stores and the library.

Looking for new books is always an adventure. I've found many books that I wouldn't have read otherwise because of these methods!

Any other ideas for getting book recommendations? What's the best book you've read recently??

Comments

Popular Posts