Cleopatra's Daughter

This post will be along the same vein as my last post because I decided to read another book by the same author, Michelle Moran.

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran



















Cleopatra's Daughter is another historical fiction book that takes place in the time of Ancient Rome. It is not a sequel to Nefertiti but is extremely similar. Once again it is based on historical facts and is extremely accurate due to Moran's extensive research into Egypt and Ancient Rome. She pulls you into the story and you are emotionally invested in the characters. I had to do a lot of googling to ensure that I understood the historical time period and some of the terms that were used.

I liked this book a lot because it involved a historical character that I never knew much about. We are introduced into the story near the end of the traditional story of Cleopatra and Marc Antony. When the city of Alexandria is conquered by Octavian, they commit suicide and their children, Alexander and Selene are taken as prisoners to Rome. They have to cope with the shocking new culture as well as understanding the politics that surround their relationship to the Roman Emperor through their father. They learn a great deal after leaving Egypt and are confronted with the changing times of Rome. They make many friends as well as enemies.

Moran does a fantastic job of creating a thrilling world surrounding historically accurate and endearing characters. It's difficult not to get caught up in the story. It only took me about a day to finish the entire book. I still need to read the sequel to Nefertiti which is The Heretic Queen. I sometimes forget how much I like historical fiction until I find a great series and this is definitely one of them!

Comments

Popular Posts