Bringing Ancient Egypt to Life

In the past couple weeks, I've been trying to read another non-fiction book since I was kinda sick of fiction. I'm working on it but like always, non-fiction books take me a little while longer to read. So in the meantime, I was able to pick up another book recommended to me by a friend.

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran





















I've always been fascinated with Egypt and Egyptian history. The Egypt Game by Zilpha Keatley Snyder was one of my favorite books growing up! Historical fiction has always been my favorite genre. I loved the idea of playing with history, feeling like you're a part of something that goes that far back in time.

That's exactly how Moran pulls you in. She really knows here research. She's had experience in archaeological sites and fell in love with Egyptology. Her experiences lend an authenticity to the work that isn't always found in historical fiction. Nefertiti is written from the perspective of Nefertiti's younger sister, Mutnodjmet. They were raised in a family that has a legacy of providing wives for the rulers of Egypt. Nefertiti is ambitious and as she marries Amunhotep, the young pharaoh, she seeks to be a ruler alongside her husband that is remembered throughout eternity. Mutnodjmet just wants to live a peaceful life away from the politics of court but is divided between her duty to her family and the things she cares about most.

It was an extremely interesting book. I loved every single minute of reading and I couldn't put it down. I felt drawn into the world of Egypt and felt extremely connected to the characters. Moran gave us a fictional view into the mysterious Queen Nefertiti and the story of her life. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel The Heretic Queen and seeing if the follow-up story is just as good as the first. She also wrote Cleopatra's Daughter which is also on my to-read list.

Comments

Popular Posts