Smarter Better Faster by Charles Duhigg

Sorry that it's been a while since I've posted a review. Finals begin this week and I've been buried in a mountain of papers instead of reading books for pleasure. I was finally able to finish this book that I've had for a couple weeks.

Thanks to Goodreads.com, Charles Duhigg, and Random House Books I was given a free copy of the book. I now feel obligated to give a review of this book because I actually really enjoyed it!

Image result for smarter faster better charles duhigg

The back of the book explains that "At the core of Smarter Faster Better are eight key concepts--from motivation and goal setting to focus and decision making--that explain why some people and companies get so much done. Drawing on the latest findings in neuroscience, psychology, and behavioral economics--as well as the experiences of CEOs, educational reformers, four-star generals, FBI agents, airplane pilots, and Broadway songwriters--this painstakingly researched book explains that the most productive people, companies, and organizations don't merely act differently. They view the world, and their choices, in profoundly different ways."

One thing that I really enjoyed about the book was the format. Each chapter is dedicated to a specific concept. Each is illustrated with stories and case studies that help the reader to understand the principle. But what I really liked was that woven through each chapter as well as at the end of the chapter, the principle is explained more generally in a way that allows the reader to visualize the applications the principles can have in their own lives.

This is definitely a book that I plan on studying in more detail and taking the time to re-read. I enjoyed the humorous and relatable writing style which made it a fairly quick and easy read. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for some ideas for self-betterment as well as a study of psychology.

Comments

Popular Posts