The Couple that Reads Together Stays Together

I've always been an avid reader...from the time that I was very little. Most of my birthday and Christmas presents growing up were books and I really preferred it that way! My parents read to me as a little girl and I think that was really what solidified my love of learning and reading.

However, I know that that love for reading books isn't something that everyone has, especially in this more technological age. My husband, Alex, is one of those people who doesn't always find enjoyment from sitting down with a good book. I've always encouraged him to read more and pointed him towards the books that I absolutely love but he's never taken to it quite like I have. He's more content to watch Star Trek or play Fallout 4 until late hours of the night. Opposites attract, I guess!

But recently, I read an article...I wish that I could find it and share it with you. This article was all about the benefits of reading together out loud as a couple. I loved this idea. The pleasure of sharing a book, ideas, and the imagination that reading requires sounded like a lot of fun. I felt that it would be something that Alex and I could enjoy together that wouldn't just be us sitting in front of a television or computer screen. Reading can be a great way to stimulate the mind and bring new conversations into a relationship. The only problem is finding a book that you can both agree on that is also a good "read-aloud" book. So after doing some searching and looking at my to-read list. Alex and I chose:

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

Image result for the silmarillion

For those who don't know, this is a book that J.R.R. Tolkien was working on throughout his entire life. It's basically a prequel to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Series. It is a history of Middle-Earth and presents several stories from the past including a few of the characters from the beloved books and movies that we love so much. It was published posthumously by his son 4 years after his death. I'm really excited to start reading it with Alex!

I plan on updating everyone on our progress in the book as well as preliminary reviews of the stories. Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular Posts