Mayday

This book is another that has been on my radar for a while. I think I even have it on the bookshelf of my classroom library--having inherited it from another English teacher. But I had never read it for myself. But I recently interacted with author Karen Harrington on Twitter after we both expressed our enjoyment of Finding Esme and was reminded of this book. So I borrowed it from my library and got sucked right in!

Mayday is the story of Wayne Kovok, a seventh-grade boy who loves facts. He uses them to fill silence and connect with people. But when his marine uncle dies and they fly home from his funeral at Arlington cemetery, he and his mother are in a horrific plane accident. Because of this, he loses his voice and his military-strict grandfather comes to live with them. Wayne has to figure out how to live with his grandpa, his deadbeat dad, and the loss of his uncle all while unable to speak and share his favorite facts. Luckily Wayne makes some new friends while he learns to deal with loss, girls, and finding his voice.

I loved that this book was kinda silly. There were lots of facts that Wayne tells that are just fun and unique. I think that kids would like this book for the same reasons they love reading those Guinness World Record books. They will love the many things they will learn while reading this book. Also--what a funny premise for a book! A fact telling seventh-grade goofball loses his voice after surviving a plane crash. I wonder where the author got the idea!

This is another one of those middle-grade books that do a fantastic job of addressing hard topics like loss of family members, death, injury, separation and divorce, friendship, disability, PTSD even. Kids deal with these things in their own lives all the time but are often told that these topics are too mature for them. So finding literature that addresses them in a way that kids can relate to is so important in helping them connect to books that can be helpful and healing! The fact that it does it in a way that is fun and accessible is a plus.

Overall I thought this was a fun little book that I can't wait to tell my students about. If you love, quirky main characters, middle-grade appropriate books about difficult topics, and fun facts, you will love Mayday by Karen Harrington. You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts