Ever the Hunted

One of the things that I love most about teaching is the opportunity to interact with so many other amazing, talented educators. It just so happens that I now have the opportunity to work with one such person who is an author of a YA fantasy series. I had the chance to read the first book of this weekend.

In Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill, Britta Flannery learned the skills of hunting and tracking all from her father, the bounty hunter for the King of Malam. Her world is completely devastated when he is murdered. Not only that but her best friend, Cohen, the boy she came to love, is accused of committing the crime.

Britta is caught poaching on the king's land in an attempt to survive and is offered a deal--her life in exchange for capturing Cohen. Britta must decide between her own life and betraying someone she had loved.

Ever the Hunted is a great example of a well-rounded YA fantasy series. It has magic, adventure, action, and romance. It has an independent female protagonist and centers on themes of loyalty, friendship, courage, belonging, and self-identity.

This year has been a bad year of reading for me. Not that I've read bad books...but that I just haven't seemed to be in the mood for reading very much. The fact that I haven't blogged about a book in two months should be evidence enough of that. I've managed to read a few other books in the meantime but this one was different.

This book was energizing. I felt like the plot moved quickly and all of the characters were endearing. It was an easy read for me and enjoyable! I read it fairly quickly thanks to all of these characteristics and knew that I had to get my hands on the next book as soon as I had the chance. The book was left on a little bit of a cliffhanger that made it all the more urgent!

Ever the Hunted is the first book of Summerill's The Clash of Kingdoms series. The second book is Ever the Brave and the third in the trilogy is Once a King. I can't wait to finish the other two books!
You can purchase a copy of the first book here.

Comments

Eva said…
Leah, I was so happy to see that you had written in your blog. I've missed your posts. I understand what you mean about not feeling like reading. It's a strange feeling for me. I think it's COVID related, but doesn't make sense. We have more time for reading right now, but I am doing less of it.

This sounds like a very good book. Just wish I had a girl the appropriate age to read it.

Love,

Eva

Popular Posts