The Simple Art of Flying

The Simple Art of Flying by Cory Leonardo is another one of those books that has been on my radar for a while now and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. But luckily my classroom was gifted a copy thanks to the #clearthelist movement, so now I've had the chance to read it. And it was such a good book! I know that my students are absolutely gonna love it!

The story centers around Alastair and Aggie, two African grey parrot siblings, who were born in the backroom of a pet store. Alastair wants nothing more to escape off to blue skies and palm trees with his sister. However, Fritz, a twelve-year-old boy obsessed with becoming a doctor, purchases Aggie and foils Alistair's plans. To make matters worse, Alistair is adopted by Albertina Plopky, an elderly woman with a very eccentric personality. Alastair anxiously plucks his feathers, eats books, and enjoys poetry, all while waiting for his chance to escape and finding his sister.

I agree with Goodreads when it says that "quirky characters, plucky humor, and a heartwarming message come together in this big-hearted debut novel about friendship and the true meaning of family."

Because of Alastair's love for books and poetry, there are a ton of literary references, poetic creations, and even a goldfish's literary analysis! As an English teacher I loved it. I know that all of my book loving friends and students would love that aspect of the book.

Alastair's grumpy personality is perfectly offset by the upbeat personality of Aggie, who always believes the best of people! The personalities of Fritz and Albertina are also revealed to us through Fritz' medical diary and Albertina's letters that she writes to her dead husband. We get to hear their thoughts about the things that they are experiencing in their lives and the lives of Alastair and Aggie.

This book is all about family and friendship and coming to terms with death and loneliness. I think that anyone looking for a heart-warming, middle grade book who loves animals and reading would enjoy this book. You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts