Maximillian Fly

Every once in a while you run into a book that is just so unique that you absolutely have to read it. Well, Maximillian Fly by Angie Sage is one of those books. I don't remember exactly where I had heard about it...maybe one of those anticipated books lists. But either way, when I saw it at Barnes and Noble I knew that I had to pick up a copy.

My first experience with Angie Sage came from my obsession with the BYU Library my freshman year of college. In my reading haze, I read the first five books of her Septimus Heap series. I highly recommend the series to any fantasy lovers out there because it was addictive. At some point I need to read the last two books in the series.

Maximillian Fly is all about the city of Hope, a town trapped under the Orb that is supposed to protect them from the horrors of the outside world infected by the Contagion. Hope is inhabited not just by humans but also by giant cockroaches like Maximillian Fly. He's a normal human except for the fact that he is six feet tall with wings, antennae, and extra arms. His quiet life is upended one day when he helps two human children hide from the oppressive power that governs their city. How will Maximillian deal with these tiny humans and all the trouble that they bring with them?

A giant cockroach? Seriously??! As soon as I mentioned to my students that I was reading a book all about a giant cockroach they were clamoring to read it! Now that I've finished it, I'm sure it will get snatched up first thing tomorrow.

It is a little reminiscent of Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis which is the story of a salesman who wakes up one day inexplicably transformed into a huge insect. I read it once for an English class and it is such a strange novella but pretty famous. So if I was going to ask Angie Sage one thing, it would be whether or not this story had any bearing on her creating the character of Maximillian Fly.

I really enjoyed the book. It's fun and interesting to read the story from the perspective of a cockroach who is disgusted by tiny humans but feels the desire to prove that he is a kind and gentle person. All of the characters are well written and we hear different aspects of the story from their perspectives as well.

Overall, I would recommend this to readers who love middle grade, dystopian settings, giant cockroaches, unique narrators, and grand adventures. You can purchase a copy here!

Comments

Popular Posts