My Life as a Potato

I am so grateful that I was able to get my hands on this fun, hilarious ARC. Arianne and I lived in the same apartment complex when we were first married so I was super excited when I heard that the book she had been working on was being published. While I do know Arianne, I promise that this review is my 100% honest opinion and I can't wait to pass this ARC on to the next reader!

My Life as a Potato by Arianne Costner is about Ben Hardy, a seventh-grader who recently moved to Idaho. This is not exactly the best development in his life since he believes that he is cursed by potatoes--a big problem when he is surrounded by them. Even the school mascot, Steve the Spud, is a potato!

After Ben accidentally sprains the mascot's ankle, he is forced to fill in for the last few basketball games of the season. Ben must do anything to keep his friends and classmates in the dark about who is actually in the Spud suit. This sure puts him in a lot of sticky situations. He doesn't want to let his school down but he sure doesn't want anyone knowing that he is the school's mascot. Can Ben manage to do his best and not reveal his secret?

This was such a fun middle grade book. As a seventh-grade teacher, it was very obvious to me that the dialogue was authentic. Sometimes when I read a book I find myself thinking that this isn't really how teenagers talk. But I definitely felt like some of the dialogue came straight out of my students' mouths. It was great!

And since this is a book all about potatoes, there are a ton of great potato-related puns and jokes. It's fantastic. I'm sure if you're from Idaho, you'll love it even more than I did.

Ben is a very likable and relatable young man. It's easy to see why he does the things that he does--including act like a dumb teenage boy at times. The other characters in the story--including Ben's best friends Ellie and Hunter--are also well written and fun to read.

Throughout the book there are some fantastic illustrations by James Lancett who has done all sorts of fun illustrations for other authors. I think they really add some fun to the story!

This book is expected to be published March 2020. But I hope that you'll take the opportunity to pre-order it and get your hands on it! Pre-order it here! I definitely plan on it because I know that my seventh-graders will love it.

Comments

Popular Posts