5 Things This English Teacher Wants You To Know About Reading



I think that we all had those grumpy old English teachers who had very strong opinions on reading--what books you should read, how much you should read, etc. I'm not very grumpy or old but I am an English teacher so let me give you some of my strong opinions on reading!

1. We all read at our own pace

I am a fast reader! And that is great because that means I can finish a lot of books quickly. I don't spend an extraordinary amount of time reading but I still get through a lot of books because of speed. It helps with being an English teacher and a book blogger.

But I also know people who read the same book for months. It isn't because they aren't interested or they don't read very often. They just read a lot slower than other people and it takes them more time. But they'll eventually get where they are going and finish that book.

And guess what? Sometimes those people who take a lot longer to read a book have a much better sense of accomplishment than those of us who whip through books like hurricanes. One of my students this past year spent several months reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. Even though it took her a long time, she was sooo excited when she was done. She said it was the longest book that she had ever read and couldn't believe that she had done it.

So you just do you! As long as you're reading, who cares how long it takes you?!

2. It's okay to not finish a book.

Sometimes the cover makes a book look really interesting. Or your best friend recommended the book to you because they loved it. And then you start it...and it's really dry. Or really slow. Or really boring. Or you hate the characters!

A lot of my students seem to be under the impression that reading is just something you either like or don't like. But us readers know that we all have books that we love and we all have books that we could just not finish because they didn't appeal to us. And the types of books that appeal to us is such an individual thing. So just keep in mind that whatever book your best friend likes does not have to be the book for you.

It is okay to put the book down! It is okay to close it and say, "You know what? This book just isn't for me." And sometimes, "This just isn't the book for me RIGHT NOW." There are several books that I started reading when I was younger and just could never finish. But when I came back to them as a slightly older and slightly wiser person, I enjoyed them.

So it is okay to not finish a book. And it is okay to come back to a book too!

3. We all have reading "dry spells."

While it may seem like I'm constantly devouring books, even I have a dry spell every once in a while. Dry spells are just periods where you don't feel like reading. Sometimes they come because we are just busy with life and other responsibilities. Other times it's because you find yourself putting down book after book because whatever you're reading doesn't seem to appeal to you.

And it is okay. Whatever the circumstances, it is okay to go through a dry spell. It's okay to take a break and reboot and just focus on other things. It isn't going to ruin your love of reading or whatever progress you feel like you've made.

The important thing is that you get back on the horse and keep reading. When you find that you have time again, pick up a book and READ! Sometimes we just have to find the right book to get us back on track. For me that means finding a great new book that sparks my interest. Other people might need the help of an old friend--a favorite book that they enjoy coming back to again and again to remind them why they enjoy reading. Whatever works for you!

4. Audio-books count as reading.

I'm part of a Fit4mom group that works out together and sometimes we end up talking about the books that we are reading. And I find that a lot of moms will say things like, "Oh. I don't really read books. But I listen to Audio-books!" Guess what? Listening to audio-books counts as reading!

Just because you aren't flipping physical pages doesn't mean that you aren't stretching your brain and enjoying a good book. Sometimes people favor audio-books because they are moms that can listen while they do the dishes or because they are audio-learners instead of visual-learners.

Sometimes audio-books are really fun because they have the best narrators who can do voices and accents way better than you can in your own head.

It doesn't really matter why you do it--just be yourself.

Which brings me to my last point...

5. So do graphic novels and comics and whatever the heck else you like to read!

Audio-books, e-books, graphic novels, comics, WHATEVER! They all count as reading. I have students come to my class and tell me all about the teachers that they had in Elementary school who told them that graphic novels weren't "real" books or that they weren't allowed to listen to audio-books.

And let me tell you, that is how you kill the love of reading in a child. That whatever they enjoy reading is garbage and that they aren't doing it right.

My goal in life it to give other people the love of reading that I have. I don't care what or how you like to read. I just hope that you'll read. I hope every year that each and every one of my students will find a book that draws them in, makes them happy, and hooks them on reading.

So whatever you do, however you do it, JUST KEEP READING!

Comments

Popular Posts