Rick Riordan Strikes Again!

So I know that my last blog post was also about Rick Riordan and his Magnus Chase series. But because the first book of the series was SO AWESOME, of course I had to finish it. Well, the series itself isn't finished but the next book is still in the process!

If you read my last post, you'd know that a few months ago I got to go to a book signing/event for Rick Riordan here in Utah. It was a lot of fun and I'm really grateful that I got to go! They did a great job promoting his books and making it enjoyable for a lot of the fans that were there. I got a signed copy of his book Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Hammer of Thor. I hadn't read the first book yet though so I finally managed to finish that one a while back.

However, with the end of the semester and not substitute teaching as often (that's where I get most of my reading done), it has taken me much longer to finish the second book. So finally here is my review. And I have to warn you...SPOILER ALERT!!!

SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! Okay...not quite yet. I'll tell you what I thought first and then if you decide that you'll probably never get around to reading the book but you'd like to know what happens, then I'll let you in on the best secret of the whole book!

I thought that once again, Rick Riordan nailed this book. He did a fantastic job of bringing mythology, humor, and pop culture all into one book. Magnus Chase and his gang of friends are at it again. They have all tried to return to their normal lives for a short while before they find out that they once again have to try to save the world from the destructive forces that most mortals can't see. I absolutely love the characters that Riordan has created for this new series. They can match wits with the best in the Percy Jackson series. So if you love Percy Jackson or any of Riordan's books really...you'd love this one! I think it's extremely fitting for young adults and older elementary/middle school children so this is definitely a good buy for a birthday present/christmas/pleasure reading book!

Okay...Here is my favorite part!! But if you don't want to know what happens at the end..then look away! SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT!!

So by the end of the book, Loki, who has been trapped by the Gods for thousands of years, is accidentally set free and escapes to go off and try to destroy the world and start Ragnarok (It's like the Norse Zombie Apocalypse/End of the World). Our heroes don't have a chance to stop him (looks like that's what the next book will be about). But when they realize that they will need some help, Magnus approaches his cousin, Annabeth (Yes...that Annabeth! From the Percy Jackson series). Now, their adventure is going to involve some sailing on the ocean. And who better to deal with water than PERCY JACKSON! So it looks like we will be having an appearance from Percy in the next book! How awesome is that!

All of Rick Riordan's books involve mythology and its existence in the real world. But I think that this will be fascinating to see. A combination of two mythical hidden worlds into one story! I can't wait!

Comments

Popular Posts