We are Malala

For November I got to choose the book that we are reading for the book club that I'm in. I was really excited because we are reading a book that I've wanted to read for a while. I finished it just the other day while I substitute teaching.

I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai

I really enjoyed this book. It makes it so much more engaging knowing that this is a real person and her real powerful experiences, especially because she is so young.

The story begins with Malala being shot in the back of her school bus. Then she starts in on the story of her life up until that point. It's interesting because we get the climax of the story at the beginning. But the majority of the book is about her growing up, living under the Taliban, and fighting for the educational rights of Pakistani young women.

I found Malala's love for learning to be extremely relatable. It makes you wonder what you would do if your right to education was suddenly taken away from you. Malala's bravery in the face of repression is inspiring. 


I'm looking forward to our book club this coming month. The copy that I purchased had discussion questions in the back and a large majority of them focused on how we could take a look at Malala's example and apply it to our own lives. Such a brave young woman sets an amazing example for the rest of us.

This is one of the best non-fiction books I've read in a while. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a story with a happy ending and a powerful message!

Comments

Popular Posts