Another Ancient Egyptian

I'm really really sorry that all of my posts lately have been about Michelle Moran's books... I just love them so much! I've read all three of her Egyptian Historical Fiction, Nefertiti, Cleopatra's Daughter, and now The Heretic Queen. 

The Heretic Queen





















First of all, I just adore this book cover. It's super simplistic but I feel like it depicts elements that were present in a lot of Egyptian art that has survived. I think it's very pretty and mysterious!

Anyway, I apologize again that I just keep writing about these Egyptian Historical Fiction books...but I love Michelle Moran and I love her writing. Her books are ones that I can actually get into. I usually read them in a day or two because they are so addicting.

This one has a lot of connections to Nefertiti because Nefertari, the main character, was the niece of the Heretic Queen, Nefertiti. I think this time I'll rely on the summary from the inside book cover to tell you what the story entails.

"The winds of change are blowing through Thebes. A devastating palace fire has killed the Eighteenth Dynasty's royal family--all with the exception of Nefertari, the niece of the reviled former queen, Nefertiti. The girl's deceased family has been branded as heretical, and no one in Egypt will speak their names. A relic of a previous reign, Nefertari is pushed aside, an unimportant princess left to run wild in the palace. But this changes when she is taken under the wing of the Pharaoh's aunt, then brought to the Temple of Hathor, where she is educated in a manner befitting a future queen.

"Soon Nefertari catches the eye of the Crown Prince, and despite her family's history, they fall in love and wish to marry. Yet all of Egypt opposes this union between the rising star of a new dynasty and the fading star of an old, heretical one. While political adversity sets the country on edge, Nefertari becomes the wife of Ramesses the Great. Destined to be the most powerful Pharaoh in Egypt, he is also the man who must confront the most famous exodus in history."

In her historical note, Moran admits that this is one of her more fictionalized stories. However, for me this didn't detract at all from the story. I still felt like the characters were very historically based and that I could connect with them. I found myself rooting for the main character in her relationship with Ramesses and her desire to overcome obstacles in her way.

I even enjoyed the injection of religion into the story as Ahmoses, the Habiru (a group believed to be related to the early Hebrews), begs Ramesses and Nefertari for the freedom of the Habirus in Egypt. What a great connection to the Exodus story that so many people are familiar with from the bible. This side story drew my attention but didn't detract from the story.

This will probably be the last Egyptian Historical Fiction book that I read for a while. I recommend this book as well as the others I've reviewed by Michelle Moran, for anyone who wishes to get away from life for a while by traveling back to the courts of Ancient Egypt.

Comments

Popular Posts