The Secret Life of Girls and Bees

If you love books like To Kill a Mockingbird or Because of Winn Dixie, then The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd is a book that will appeal to you.

The Secret Life of Bees ended up as the book of the month for the book club in my ward at church. Sadly, I wasn't able to attend the meeting since I was on vacation but I made sure I checked the book out.

A young girl growing up in the South has a tragic childhood and a difficult background. She struggles with her family life and ends up running away from home. She chases her past to a small town and ends up finding more about herself as well. It's one of those growing up stories that makes you think a little more about yourself and what you understand about your past and future.

There are some very interesting parts in this book, however, there isn't much action if that's what you're looking for. This book covers an important summer in the life of a young girl and most of the events are centered around her and her journey of self discovery. The story is compelling and emotional especially for those who can relate.

I definitely recommend this book for teenagers that enjoy those coming of age books or who are looking for a good read.

There is also a 2008 film that is based on the book. I'm hoping that maybe I'll have a chance to check it out sometime soon and put it on my movie vs. book page.

What books have influenced you in your childhood or youth?

Comments

Popular Posts