Golden Boys and Sonya Hartnett

I don't remember exactly how I came to hear about this book or put it on my "to-read" list. However, I am glad that I was able to read it.

Golden Boys by Sonya Hartnett

Golden Boys is about families in an Australian neighborhood. One of which seems to have a perfect life. The other is more obviously flawed. The children of these families are trying to maneuver and understand some of the more adult things that begin happening in their lives while clinging to their innocence. It's one of those novels that presents the difficulties of growing up.

"An absorbing, fiercely elegant, and tangibly believable novel that raises questions about our responsibility to bear witness--and details the complex obstacles to doing so."-Australian Book Review

"Golden Boys has a line-by-line brilliance that is startling...[Hartnett] is one of Australia's most penetrating analysts of the travail and turmoil of families, especially as witnessed and suffered by the young." --Weekend Australian


This was a book that was difficult to get into. I enjoyed the writing style but this isn't a book that has much action. It basically ends where it began. The conflict and resolution of the story are psychological and Hartnett does a great job with it. It's definitely a book that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good young adult read or a book that focuses on dysfunctional families.

I did a little research on Sonya Hartnett as well. I hope to read a few of her other books. She is an Australian author who primarily writes young adult fiction but has also done a few children's picture books and adult novels. She first published at the young age of 15!!



I'm trying to branch out a little into authors and books that are a little less popular. Any suggestions??

Comments

Popular Posts