Disability Representation

Like I've previously stated in blog posts, I'm constantly looking to read things that my students will enjoy and that will hopefully widen the perspectives they have on the world around them. A lot of times this leads me to books that I wouldn't normally read or that I don't have much experience with either. This week I've read two books about people with disabilities and it was a great way to put myself into other people's shoes!

First, I read another anthology of short stories--Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens edited by Marieke Nijkamp, author of This Is Where It Ends. Contributing authors include Kody Keplinger, Kristine Wyllys, Francisco X. Stork, William Alexander, Corinne Duyvis, Marieke Nijkamp, Dhonielle Clayton, Heidi Heilig, Katherine Locke, Karuna Riazi, Kayla Whaley, Keah Brown, and Fox Benwell.

There were so many great stories. My favorites were about a blind girl who rides tandem bikes, an actress disabled by chronic pain, and a girl with IBS who writes a romance column. There was also a lot of fantastic LGBTQ representation in this book. 

One of the things that I loved about many of the stories is that for most of the books, the story wasn't about their disability. Sometimes I even had a difficult time understanding or identifying what their disability was in the story. And that's okay! Because nearly all people who have disabilities don't want to be identified solely by their disability. They have lives--friends, family, hobbies, jobs, and so many things that they are capable of. I think that anthology would be a great way to teach able-bodied students about what it is like to live life with a disability. 

I was checking out the "New Arrivals" shelf in our school library this week and I grabbed The Oracle Code, a graphic novel that was written by Marieke Nijkamp. I needed a quick read to jump start my reading for this weekend and this was a perfect fit--and also disability representation!

The Oracle Code is set in the DC Universe--think Gotham City. The main character is Barbara Gordon, daughter of the police commissioner. When a gunshot wound leaves her paralyzed, she goes to the Arkham Center for Independence where she is supposed to learn how to live independently now that she is wheelchair-bound. She struggles with her new limitations, her loss of old friends, and trying to make new ones. When one of the residents mysteriously disappears, Barbara can't resist a good puzzle. Can she figure out the pieces before it's too late? 

I'm not a super big DC fan...but I know enough about the universe that this book at tons of little easter eggs for me to notice as I read. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a series or just a one-off but I'd love to read more about Barbara and her adventures as a hacker in a wheelchair. 

This book centers hugely around the theme that people with disabilities are still capable and that they can live independent lives. This is especially huge for Barbara and she comes to accept the change that has happened in her life since her disability wasn't something she was born with. 

I know that a lot of my graphic novel loving students would enjoy this one. Both of these books would be great disability representation to add to a classroom library. I definitely plan on seeking out more books by these authors. 

I recommend these books for anyone looking for a perspective expanding, disability representation, YA book. You can purchase a copy of the anthology here and The Oracle Code here.

Comments

Popular Posts